Saturday, April 19, 2008

Chapter 9 - Landing brake - Part 3

Over the last week I have been making some slow progress on the landing brake. I have quite a bit of work left on this brake, from faring to the control hardware ( I am seriously considering an electric actuator over the lever, cables, springs etc..). What follows are some photos of the process since my last landing break post....

Here are three plies BID layed up over the foam core of the landing brake. Note the duct tape to prevent the landing brake plies from bonding to the fuse.



Here is the brake after the outside skin has cured. You can see the foam core, aluminum piano hinge and plywood reinforcement (later to cause some difficulty).


Here is the brake following lay up and cure of the inside 3 plied of BID. The piano hinge is bolted to the fuse through three holes drilled and tapped into the aluminum blocks installed previously.


The landing brake in the open position.


Here is a close up shot of the hinge. I had to remove a portion of the plywood block because it was interfering with the center bolt and would not allow the brake to fully close. I will lay up 3 to 6 plys BID in place of the plywood block in that area. I have AN screws that will be placed in the remaining 4 holes, but I will need washers for those.

No comments: