Saturday, May 23, 2009

Chapter 18 - Canopy - Part 1

Yesterday the canopy was delivered to the general store down the street. Shipping is a little cheaper sometimes for larger shipments if a comercial address can be supplied. The nice fellow who ows the general store agreed to recieve the canopy and as it happens I was driving by 5 minutes after it arrived and saw the large box sitting outside. I staped in on my roof rack and brought it home to the workshop.

After unpacking the canopy I was a little suprised to find that it was already roughly trimmed. The plans (written decades ago) indicate that the canopy should be trimmed from a rectangular base leaving about a 1/4" flange around. My canopy is just trimmed strait on the bottom and aft end.

After pondering this fact for a little bit I determinded it is trivial and actually has saved me some work. I did notice thought that the aft end of the canopy did need to be trimed to the proper length.

Here is the canopy as delivered.





Pitcured here you can see how I masked and marked the aft end of the canopy for trimming. I used a cutoff wheel in my dremel tool. That worked very good and only required a little sanding to finnish.


Here is the canopy after finishing

2 comments:

Henrik said...

Hi Martin,

Who manufactured your lovely canopy, is it a Long 'standard' canopy? or is it the wider variant? I like the tint - what is it called?

About to place an order for my canopy with Todds and want to gather some info.

Thanks a lot for a very intresting blog - your handywork is very inspiring.

Regards,
Henrik

Martin said...

I ordered a regular tinted Long-EZ canopy from Todds. At the time he had extra tinted Pexiglass in stock so he charged me a little less for the tinted. If you order soon he may give you the same price.

If you have any questions or suggestions you can also email me at mfryer100@hotmail.com.