Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Chapter 10 - Canard construction - Part 3

Last Sunday I spent a few hours laying up the shear web of the canard. At first I used gray duct tape to mask everything but the shear web area, however as I started to lay up the first few plies the tape fell off. I tried to replace it but it just became a real hassle. I ended up dispensing with it altogether. If I were to do this again I would try masking tape perhaps. In the end a few drips of epoxy got on the foam, not a big deal though.

Everything else went smoothly and as the plans instructed, except, it again took about twice as long as the plans called for. Either I am slow, or Burt and Mike had assistance while doing these tasks.

The dowels in the picture are for aligning the leading edge cores, which will be bonded in place tonight after I finish some minor trimming required due to the lift tab thickness.


Here is a close up of the lift tabs. As you can see I have alodined them. A two part process that involves first cleaning them with an acidic wash and then dipping them in alodine, chemical that protects the parts from corrosions and preps them for primer.

No comments: