Saturday, August 9, 2008

Chapter 10 - Canard construction - Part 2

While I have been waiting for the canard cores from Eureka I have been fabricating some of the hardware and working on the jigs. Pictured are the nut plates, lift tabs and hinges. I have drilled out the rivets in the nut plates because I have decided to use alodine on all the parts before assembly.


Today the Eureka cores arrive, however to rain on my parade a little, as I was opening the box I discoverd a nasty gash in the box. I suppose some people just can't understand "handle with care".


Here are the ailerons. One of them had one corner smashed off.


Fortunately the peice was easy enough to glue in place. Not as big a deal as I first feared.


The cores are really nice. I am glad I ordered these instead of messing around with a hot wire saw. I also was able to compare them to prints of my CAD drawings of the cannard and they are almost an exact match.


Here the inner aft cores are jigged up for the shear web.


And here the nut plates are recessed into the core shear web area. The two inner cores are also bonded together, note the nails bondoed to the jig to keep them stationary while the epoxy/micro cures.

No comments: