Thursday, May 15, 2008

Chapter 9 - Main gear - Part 2

More work on the main gear today. This stage has turned out to be quite involved. But I am almost done. Unfortunately I only ordered two of the large washers that are to be floxed and glassed to the outside of the gear attach tabs. I will need to order two more and flox/glass them in place to complete this step.

Here the outer glass tabs are ready with flox fillets for the inner glass tab layups.


Here are the first of the inner glass layups. The clamps are lightly tightened down to hold the glass layers in place during cure.


The inner glass layups completed, cured and trimmed. Holes bored through all layups and the steel tube inserted.


The plans call for a foam peice to be shaped and inserted between the steel tubes and the main gear. However it was suggested that the foam piece be replaced with flox, which is what I did. After troweling on the flox I layed up two plies BID over the tubes and the outer washers (only on the left tabs because I ordered two few, the other two will be installed when I have them in from ACS).

No comments: