Monday, January 10, 2011

Chapter 19 - Wings - Part 12

A few weeks ago I layed up the top spar cap of the left wing. Unfortunatly I received a phone call from my brother just before laying up the final 20" ply of spar cap uni. I spent a few to many minutes discussing Christmas plans and the spar cap epoxy started to gell. I layed on the final 20" ply, but it refused to wet out completely. I finaly gave up tring to save that ply and just let it cure completely.

After final cure I sanded off all of the uni roving that didn't wet out and applied a 22" piece over the repair area. 

Here is the section cureing just after the repair. Looks a little sloppy, but its not as bad as the picture lets on.

Here is the left wing after top skinning, again with the help of Marc Oppelt. This took us about 3 hours. Practice has made these large layups quicker. Recently there has been a friendly debate on one of the online forums about the value of using an epoxy pump. My opinion is that those expensive pumps are really neat, and probably worth the money, however even with the largest of layups like this top wing skin, the use of a digital scale and cheaper west system pumps works just fine. 


Yesterday I used the dremel tool to rout out 0.7" of foam from the forward inboard wing rib area, and today I layed up the three plies of bid glass. I now have two wings at this same stage.

No comments: