Saturday, April 10, 2010

Chapter 19 - Wings - Part 4

Well, today, after a little break from the project I managed to get a little work done. But first I'll back up a bit.


A couple of weeks ago I completed temporarily bonding the wing jigs to the floor of the shop with Bondo. Care was taken to ensure that the templates were lined up, level and square. In the photo you can see, if you look close, the red laser line that I used to allign all of the templates.



After the wing jigs were bonded to the floor I test fitted the foam cores. This was not an easy task because the fit was very tight, especially on the training edge. I used a tip from another builder and didn't bond the upper jigs to the floor. That allowed me to unbolt the upper section to allow the cores to more easily slide into place.



Next the leading foam core sections and wing jigs were removed to allow access to the shear web area.



Finally today I bonded the three aft foam cores together with micro. Next up is to fabricate the aluminum hard points that will correspond with the hard points installed in the center section spar.

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Dear Backwards,
I don't know your name, maybe If I had paid more attention I would have caught it reading your blog, but I just want to tell you that you do incredible, beautifully detailed work and getting to watch is inspiring. I just ordered my first batch of materials for my Open-EZ yesterday and I am really fired up to get started.
Keep up the good work, I am on your six and watching your blog for tips!

MikePett

Curt said...

Martin,

you may remember me from contact we had 3 years or so ago. I purchased a Long EZ project in Bellingham, WA and brought it home to Hillsboro OR in 2007.
after many life changes and a new job, Im getting on with the project. I was wondering if I could borrow your wing/winglet templates and building jigs when you are finished with them,

Curt
lagdamper@yahoo.om

Martin said...

Mike, my name is Martin Fryer. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at mfryer100 at hotmail dot com.

Anonymous said...

Uh Oh. Long time lurker but No updates in over a month! I hope the wings are coming along alright. Anything new to dazzle and impress us with?