Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Chapter 19 - Wings - Part 1

Well, as the plans say, "this is the big one", the wings.

First step was cutting out and assembling the wing jigs. These are used to allign the wing foam cores while they are bonded togather and while the shear web is layed up.

Each jig is split into 4 peices and bolted togather so that they can be separated for different layups.
When I constructed the canard, I purchased preformed foam cores. However after assisting Steve Parkins cut one of his Cozy MKIV wing cores, I reallized how easy it was and decided to cut my own wing cores.
After I completed the wing jigs I bonded the wing templates from the A drawings onto formica laminate and cut them out. These templates guide the hot wire cutting tool to form the airfoil. Also included are templates for cutting torque tube access, aileron cutouts and wiring conduit and winglet.


Here is a photo of the hotwire cutting tool I constructed. An assistant will be required to weild this while cutting the foam cores.


The foam blocks are enroute. In the meantime I will be transfering the "talking numbers" and other information to the back side of each template. Sometimes a reverse template is required depending on weather or not the template is used inboard or outboard of a block, and of course when the other wing is constructed as well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your blog which i check often - I'm starting a Long-Ez build and hence find your progress inspiring.

However I thought you were going to be using EurekaCNC prefab cores, but now i see you plan on cutting yourself?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Martin said...

Dear Anonymous (real poster).

I did use the Eureca cores for my cannard, and they were well work the money. Very well cut and acurate.

However, after helping out a cozy builder with his wing cores I learned how easy and fun it is to cut your own.

I still would recomend Eureca cores if one didn't want to build a hotwire saw and power supply and cut the templates, but I am happy that I did this wing myself this time.