Thursday, March 19, 2009

Chapter 13 - Nose and nose gear - Part 4

While I am awaiting the arrival of some new nose gear parts (strut, nose gear casting, etc) I took some time today to mount a new tire on the nose wheel.

After all, I bought the wrong tires for the main wheels, so now it's the nose wheels turn. The origional STA tire I bought from Aircraft Spruce did not quite do the wheel justice and just did not seem approprate, so I searched around (something I should have done before) and found a nicer looking tire from Dresser Tire.

I seem to recall reading that the zig zag pattern in the other tire (really a tail wheel tire) may be more likely to throw debris up and at the prop. Perhaps this is true, perhaps it's bunk, nevertheless the new tire does at least look nicer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, what are the max diameters of the two tires? I need to find a smaller dia tire. My McCreary-STA sticks out of contour slightly preventing the incorporation of nose wheel doors. Thanks!