Sunday, December 30, 2007

Chapter 6 - Fuselage bottom - Part 2

After finally just resigning to the fact that this next step was going to make a big mess, I got to work and finished contouring the fuselage bottom. It did indeed throw blue bits everywhere
(not unlike a Unicef advertisement http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MAYrF1PDks)

I made a small mistake at the back seat area. I started to contour all the way to where the triangular longeron is to be bonded. I then realized this area should be left alone because the rear consoles would be located in that area. The damage was minimal and I should be able to fill it in after the consoles are installed. Measure twice, cut once!!!!




















I used an angle grinder with a heavy duty sanding disk for the majority of the work. This worked quite well. It cut through the foam like butter. It also made good work of my left index finger taking the skin off the the knuckle nearly down to the bone. I used a pair of work gloves my father sent me for X-mas after that little incident, thanks Dad. I also picked up a first aid kit when I was at the hardware store. I found that I only had a couple of little Sponge Bob bandages in the house.

After contouring the bottom I place it upside down on the fuselage as instructed in the plans.

I used 2 8' 1x4 peices of lumber cut to 7' with the 1' scraps used as shims to jig the bottom to the fuselage curve. The lumber was then bonded to the foam with small dabs of bondo to ensure the peice holds its curve for glassing.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.